Sunday, June 28, 2015

Brecksville Homedays 5K Race Report

I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile. We had family in town visiting since Wednesday, so there hasn't been much time to update this!

On Wednesday, I ran 3.1 miles to test my pace and assure myself that I could do it. I made it 39:46, so my goal was to run my 5K today, quicker than that (whether it was one second faster or a minute faster). After running Wednesday, I took my sister to her softball game and rolled my ankle in a hole in the lawn that I didn't see! Ugh, it has been achy since then and hurts to walk on. Running on it in a structured shoe wasn't as bad, so I still decided to run. Plus, I have been training since March for this race and I couldn't let myself down!

Today was my first 5K running by myself! (Since the last one I had to walk most of it with one of my students). I was very nervous when I arrived and I felt like I was the only one there by myself. This also had a family race aspect, so a lot of families ran together.

I drank my water, went to the restroom, stretched out a little, and then we walked to the start! What I had heard about this race from my No Boundaries coach was that the end of this race was all downhill. Even though it was a loop, the race was around my neighborhood streets so I knew the beginning of the course would be a rough uphill battle almost the entire first 2 miles. Those first two miles were rough - massive uphills, lots of walkers.

I wasn't able to stop my tracker right away...
At about 1.8 miles, I was getting some calf cramps, so I decided to walk one of the last hills and then just kick it into high gear for the last mile of the race.

The last mile had much easier hills and the last half mile was ALL downhill- it was also definitely the quickest mile of the race!

As I neared the finish line, my mom was there and I see her trying to snap a picture as I cross and it took all I had in me not to cry. I have worked for this for months - back when I could barely run longer than a minute-and it all came down to this!

According to the picture she got with the gun time I made it at 39:22 - 20 seconds quicker than Wednesday! Chip times were just posted, and officially I ran it in 39:05! I'm thrilled with that time!

After some food, Starbucks, and a nap, I signed up for yet another 5K - a Nike Summer Race at the Metroparks by my house and couldn't be more excited! After resting a few days to help my ankle heal, the race is actually so close to my house that I can practice running the course to make sure that I know what I am getting myself into!

After the summer of 5k's, I plan on training for some 10k's! Probably start that training in September after spending a few more months getting a stronger 5K time.

Until next time-
Liz
the top right is at the finish line and the bottom right is at the start - i loved the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment