Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Day 3 - Rest with a bit of stretching

Today was a good day for a run, but considering I ran the last two days and was feeling pretty stiff, I decided to do some yoga. I really needed to stretch out my hips and lower back. I am a member of DailyBurn and they have some GREAT recovery and mobility videos for rest day. They have some with foam rollers, tennis balls, and yoga. Considering I have neither a foam roller or a tennis ball (although they do have some at 5 Below, which means they'd be less than $5...) I chose the yoga (plus I have ALWAYS wanted to be a yogi!).

There were some amazing hip and back stretches and nearly every pain I had went away for awhile and I iced my back - I have one that wraps around and velcros in the front so that I don't have to sit on the couch for 20 minutes while I ice, I can still be mobile.

A few weeks ago, I was having major back and sciatic pain, so I went to a chiropractor. I was told I have scoliosis (pretty minor curve, nothing extravagant) and a pelvic twist and tilt, so I am currently going three times a week for adjustments and muscle stimulation. I think this is really helping my sore muscles from running - my body definitely tells me when it is time for an adjustment, and I always feel so much better afterwards. Also, my doctor also gives me hip and back stretches that I am to do twice daily (hip swings and kneeling lunges), which helps a lot with my pain. I think it's not just important to exercise, but also to keep myself healthy to prevent injuries!

Until next time,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment