Monday, May 18, 2015

Day 55 - trying out Hal Higdon

I have decided to try Hal Higdon's Novice 5K training plan. The beginning runner training group I am a part of is constantly recommending it. The Nike 5K plan was too difficult (maybe for the next round I can try it) and this plan seemed 100% at my level.
My new training plan! source
I started on week three because that is the level that I feel I am ready for and because I have 6 weeks left until my first timed 5K. Thus, today was rest/walk day. I was feeling up for something more active, so I decided to go to the gym and use the elliptical.

I have not used the elliptical since February before I started running. I was excited to see how my new running strength effected my time on the elliptical. I took it easy (it is only supposed to be a walk week after all!) and yet "easy" was a whole mile per hour faster than I had ever gone before! I loved it and it felt great. I was kind of cranky and tired today, but after I went to the gym, I felt great.

However, when I got there, I looked in the mirror and just thought "wow, I look huge." I hate days like that. I'm not losing much weight still. Clothes are a teeny bit looser, but not much and I'm starting to get frustrated. I will keep on pushing and keep on working, but I have just got to watch what I eat and just keep moving.

I told my student this morning that I would be running with her in her 5K next weekend for Girl's on the Run and she was so excited!! She smiled from ear to ear and gave me a big hug. I'm looking forward to doing that with her and for her. 2 of the other teachers on my team are running too and I am looking forward to a fun time!

Until next time-
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment