Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Day 42 - Missing in action :/

Well, first let me apologize for my absence. I have been insanely busy! Last Tuesday I tried to go for a run before going to girl's night and seriously just could not do it. I hadn't eaten, I hadn't taken a rest day in 5 days, and have probably have been training too hard and too fast. So anyways, I ended up walking a mile and a half.

I decided that my legs needed a break, so I took Wednesday off. Then, Thursday, a co-worker had tickets to the Browns Official Draft party and asked me to come. We went right after work so we didn't have to leave downtown and come back less than an hour later, so I wasn't even home until 11pm!

Friday I was so exhausted from the draft party that I fell asleep on the couch, woke up, and went straight up to bed.

new shoes!
Saturday was my birthday! I got so many great new running clothes, a new yoga mat, and a gift certificate to my yoga studio. I also decided that all my calf cramps has to be coming from my shoes. I have built up enough muscle strength to not be hurting anymore and the only thing I haven't done is gotten fitted for a pair of shoes. I found out there is a running store way closer to my house than I thought (which is going to be dangerous here shortly...) and I had an hour between my birthday celebrations at my mom's and the celebrations at my dad's. I was the only one at the store, so I got helped right away and found out I should be wearing a 9.5 (not a 9) and that I need a neutral shoe. I tried on about 4 pairs, and ended up loving this pair of Brooks Glycerin! As soon as I got home I HAD to try them, so I went for a quick mile run. I still felt kinda tight, but I think I was a bit dehydrated and totally not ready to roll.

Sunday I drove to Columbus to see my brother who goes to THE Ohio State University and see my baby sister play in her last volleyball tournament of the year (she didn't place as high as she normally does, but she still had fun!).

my coworkers and I at the game :)
Then, yesterday, I had tickets to the Cavs playoff game and went with some coworkers! We, again, left right after work and HAD A BLAST! It was unfortunate that they lost, but it was a close game and so much fun (we even got our picture we tweeted displayed on the jumbotron!! wooo!)

today's run!
So, today, I was supposed to have plans after work, but I was so tired and things kind of fell through, so I came home after my chiropractor appointment. I ate some dinner and was feeling kind of lazy, so I decided to really try my new shoes out. I went back to an easier run on my couch to 5k app just because I had taken so many days off, so I was only running 5 minutes at a time, but my legs felt AMAZING. Literally no cramps, just normal muscle burn from pushing it and was going a lot faster than normal! I felt like I could go forever (minus the rubbing on the bottom of my feet - these socks are new which makes them more slippery, so maybe I just need to wear them in, they are moisture wicking!), it was awesome. I'm not sure if it was the rest or the shoes (or a combination of the two), but I felt GREAT and am actually excited to get back out Thursday instead of dreading the pain.

I noticed when I wasn't running I was more exhausted (could it just have been the busy-ness?), definitely more crabby, and way more lazy. I know understand why I need running in my life. I feel like a completely different person.

My sister Meredith who lives in Georgia comes home on the 15th! We just came up with a plan for her to help me figure out strength training and working my core. She's also going to run with me and go to yoga with me! I am SO excited to finally have a workout buddy! I also talked to some of my co-workers to start a Saturday or Sunday running group and may join a beginner's runner's club that starts in June.

So I may have taken a week off, but I am back, and excited to get back to work!!

Gotta get ready for that race on June 28th ;)

Until next time-
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment