Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day 24 - Birthday Season!

I'm so sorry I didn't get to post last night! It's "birthday season" for my family. My 2 brothers and 1 of my sisters has birthday's within a week and a half of each other (and mine is a week and a half after that!) so we get super busy around this time of year! It's like a second Christmas in our house! My mom and dad's birthdays are in the spring too, so I only have one sister who's birthday is in October (she always feels so left out...) so I'm not joking with how busy I've been!

Work has been pretty crazy and stressful too. Once the temps go up, the kids are ready for summer and we still have so much work to do before the year is over! The stress level climbs like crazy this time of year, but it goes by so fast!

Despite all the craziness, I've made running a priority, and I'm so proud of myself for doing so! I know in the past I would have used my schedule as an excuse, but I'm definitely not now. I was talking with some coworkers and one of my supervisors about how little time we have for ourselves and how we all want to take care of ourselves and just can't! I just switched that mentality from I can't to I have to. It's not an option. Plus, summer is around the corner, then I can make time for anything! I also am finding that after a bad day, I just want to get out and run. This is a great turn of thinking and I can't wait to revel in my success.

Anyways, yesterday I went running right after work because that was the only time I had to go. I usually come home and veg out for an hour, but I wouldn't have time for that with my brother Michael's birthday yesterday. I actually liked it and it was so worth it! I was to run for 8 minutes at a time based on the couch to 5k program. I really didn't think I was going to be able to do it, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway and if I have to stop and walk, I have to stop and walk and know that I can just go back to it after another week or so of training.

Well I did it! I was so surprised that I was able to follow through and just keep moving. I was going VERY VERY slow, but you know what? Who cares?! I haven't run longer than 1 or 2 minutes at a time before in my life. Seriously. So 8 minutes is a huge success and as long as I'm keeping one foot in front of the other and I'm not walking, I have succeeded.

so true!
I determined that the first run was inaccurate. Something about the pace was not right (I didn't look that closely as to what it was). This time the map looked more accurate and I used Map My Run (which I loved because it told me how far I went and my splits without having to look at it!) and I went 2.15 miles in 31 minutes for a pace of 14:42 - I finally legitimately beat my best pace! I was smiling like crazy and bragging about it to my family after I finished. I couldn't believe it!

Today I didn't make it out :( I had meetings until very late and then my sister Abby's birthday dinner, so I didn't have any time. But it's Friday eve, which means plenty of time for running this weekend and my first yoga class on Sunday! I can't wait for yoga - I think my lack of flexibility is leading to some running tension in my calves, so I'm looking forward to some good stretching! My chiropractor helps by stretching out my hips too, so I just have to do some work myself too.

Sorry for the long post - so much going on!

Until next time-
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment